Dropping my iPhone in water lead me back to my desktop computer.

So...My iPhone was submerged in water. Not one of my best moments. In fact I am still holding on to the hope that it will miraculously turn on and all will be well (but reality is cruel). We are just a few months from paying it off...figures! At least there are only a few photos/videos that I hadn't downloaded on to my computer, thank you Hurricane Irma. But being without the technical marvel that is my smart phone will be a reminder for me.
There was a time that you had to remember phone numbers, birthdays, and appointments. A time when you used a map to get where you needed to go or had to stop for directions. If you wanted to know more about something you went to a library or cracked open our World Book Encyclopedias. If I wanted to listen to music it required an 8Track, turntable, tape or cd player and I had to own it. If I wanted to play games I had to go to the arcade, or had to be hooked up to a Television, or it was of the board variety. A time when movies were at a theatre and you had to be home at a certain time or you would just simply miss your favorite show. And if I wanted to keep up with friends I either wrote letters (including a school photo) or made a phone call. If I wanted to take photos I had to carry around a camera...ok...I still do that every now and then.

Now, I realize that this is a bit nostalgic. But in this day and age people expect you to be available at all times. And even though we have access to a plethora of information, it doesn't mean that the content is accurate. I love to binge watch...but there is something about having whatever you want whenever you want. I mean, it sounds good but I think about my kids...there are no Saturday morning cartoons. The anticipation...the excitement. It also came to an end and you went on with your day. This is a tricky one. I mean, we simply turn it off but the instant gratification is something to be considered and moderated.

I do love my phone. I love that I am able to capture special moments with little fuss. I love that my circle of "friends" reaches farther and I can keep up with people as much or as little as I like.  We are spoiled. So every now and then it's good to remember how far we've come. And to take care as we continue to move forward.

Comments

Popular Posts