The Beach

“I have always loved the beach. The smell of the salty water, the wind in my face, the gentle roar of the waves all combine to create a sense of peace and calm."    --Anonymous



Even with a 3 year old, this is how I feel at the beach. Peaceful, relaxed, without a care in the world.  This past weekend Carson and I made our first trip to the beach for the season. I am hoping to go often this year. We live so close it seems a shame not to take advantage! When I first moved to Florida, I hardly made the effort to go. In fact, I made more trips when I lived in Georgia. That is ridiculous! Especially because I have always loved beach days. When Carson came along I made it a point to go more often. I wanted him to enjoy it as much as I do. Well, mission accomplished. He is definitely a beach boy!

 
I am going to try new beaches this summer. We typically go to New Smyrna but I would like to explore other locations. The beach you choose makes a difference. We go back to Mary Bethune Park in New Smyrna for several reasons: no driving on the beach, fewer tourists (less crowds), close parking, they have restrooms and a lifeguard. I like that there's no soliciting on the beach and no close food venues. Pack a picnic and it's the perfect day trip!


I even love the sand! I know, I know - it can be annoying but I love it squishing between my feet. I love to build sand castles, I love to bury my feet, I love to stand in shallow waves and have the tide wash away the very earth I am standing on causing me to sink into a sort of sand boot. I love wading in the water while the wave roll in. Carson enjoys that too! (He, Graden and Pryce enjoy the waves)


The beach also reminds me of how small we actually are. Worries seem fewer, burdens seem lighter...I can't explain it. It's like beach therapy. Even when I don't think I need it I always come home rejuvenated and salty. Don't get me wrong...the first thing I do when I get home is shower...and then I feel rejuvenated and clean.  


Yes, the beach is on my top five places that make me happy! 


May you have sand between your toes,  an ocean breeze through your hair,
Sea shells in your pocket and a cool drink in your hand!

Comments

Popular Posts